MHA's Keeping Your Charity on the Right Track – Month to Month Plan to Better Governance
The Not for Profit sector has seen a lot of changes in recent years, from numerous directions. Changing legislation is placing a cost burden onto organisations already struggling with funding issues. Governance continues to be key in maintaining and developing a successful organisation and being alive to taxation changes has become imperative and the charity regulators are adopting a more rigorous approach.
To help your organisation navigate some of the challenges out there, we have created a tool that can help you improve your organisation’s governance in a stepped and measured way.
This guide has been put together to offer guidance and support to Finance teams, Trustees and the Senior Management teams in Not for Profit organisations.
The report covers the following topics:
- Month 1 – Are we an Effective Board?
- Month 2 – Effective Finance Function and Reporting to the Board
- Month 3 – Effective Financial Reporting – SORP Compliance
- Month 4 – Charity Reserves
- Month 5 – The Tax Implications of Strategic Plans
- Month 6 – Effective use of Resources
- Month 7 – Reporting
- Month 8 – Internal Controls Reviews
- Month 9 – How do Your Internal Controls Stand up to Fraud?
- Month 10 – Cyber Security
- Month 11 – Making the Most of VAT
- Month 12 – Your Month to Month Checklist
Use your ‘Month to Month Checklist’ at the start to assess where you are now in each of the areas. Once you have read a section, fill in the ‘Where do you want to be and how will you get there?’ part of the checklist. Then at the end of the year, assess whether you achieved your goals or not.
We can also help you with bespoke training, assistance with strategy and implementation controls. So if there is something that you are struggling with or would like some advice on, our specialist advisors to the Not for Profit sector are able to draw on a vast wealth of experience and expertise encompassing the full range of Not for Profit organisations including education institutes, grant making bodies, religious organisations and a wide array of charitable focuses.
Our Not for Profit team provides first class accountancy services to over 500 charitable and not for profit organisations across the UK. Contact us for an initial free of charge consultation.