Charities & Social Enterprises
The charity & social enterprise sectors are rapidly changing landscapes bound by more regulatory and compliance requirements than most. Our award winning team of charity and social enterprise accountants has the experience and expertise to fully understand the complex and regulatory accounting needs of your charity or social enterprise.
Our specialist services to charities include:
- Assurance services – audit and independent examination
- Management accounts and financial reporting
- Strategic reviews and planning
- Advice on viability and restructuring
- Internal control procedures, and risk management
- Reserves policy and accounting for separate funds
- Setting-up a new organisation: regulatory, taxation, and governance issues
- Charity taxation generally, including VAT, maximising income through gift aid, “charitable trading”
- Employment issues, taxation, the engagement of workers and working with volunteers
Our award wining team, is well known in the sector. We act for many clients in the charity and not for profit sectors, including a significant number in the ‘Top 3,000’, and have been consistently ranked in the top five for overall service and commitment to the voluntary sector in Charity Finance audit survey over the last six years.
Although many hospices have been quick to embrace change, others have not. Current uncertainty about the impact of the shift of control to Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs), led by GPs, raises questions about who will provide end of life care and how it will be funded.
Our hospice specialists are currently helping clients to address the following key issues:
- Reducing costs to make your organisation competitive;
- Streamlining working practices to make the workforce more effective;
- Introducing new technology to facilitate mobile working;
- Transforming services to reach out to a wider range of individuals across the community.
Our specialist services to social enterprises include:
- Sourcing funding from Government, voluntary and private sources
- Reinvesting profits
- Organisational planning - Community Interest Companies, Spin Outs
- Company structure
- Staying competitive
- Moving from public sector to social enterprise
- Engagement of workers and employment tax issues
- Generation of new income streams
Our team of social enterprise accountants is passionate about this crucial and vibrant area of the not for profit sector with the main aim of helping social enterprises to succeed.
Charity & social enterprise sector experts
Our charity & social enterprise accounting team is a sector leader. Several of our accountants write and lecture widely on charity accounting. Peter Gotham chaired the Charities and Voluntary Sector Group of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) for a number of years during which it saw a dramatic growth in membership and activity. He is currently a lecturer and Visiting Fellow at the Cass Centre for Charity Effectiveness at City University and until recently was a member of the Charity Commission’s SORP Committee responsible for framing the Statement of Recommended Practice – Accounting and Reporting by Charities. Chris Harris founded and chaired the Charities Panel at the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) and has also been a member of the SORP Committee.
We produce regular newsletters for the charity, social enterprise and not for profit sectors.
View all of our Not for Profit publications here>>
Visit our subscriptions page to subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter or any other MHA MacIntyre Hudson publications.